Want to bring your own food to work but too little time? Or you don’t know how to get started? Do not worry, for I have got your back.
Begin by using a pot like this:
There are plenty of pots like this on Taobao. This particular one is slightly over $14.
The most basic thing you can do is boil water and throw in a bunch of fresh vegetables to a simple, healthy meal. Add a little bit of soy sauce or bullion for more flavour. It is basically having hotpot at your work desk.
If you work behind a counter and have a resting room, you can leave it to slow cook at you are on your shift. I used to do that when I worked as a retail promoter. It saves time and money. Gone are the days where you have to speed walk to takeaway food and rush back to eat. With a basic pot like this, you can have a warm, healthy meal and have more time to rest.
Anyway, a basic pot like this can also be used to cook other meals besides soup. Here is how to make a stir fried macaroni dish at your office desk:
- Fry aromatics in a bit of water or oil.
- Add the ingredients that take longer to cook like cabbage.
- Add tofu for extra protein. You can use chickpeas or other canned legumes if you wish.
- Add whatever seasoning you desire. Here I am using Vietnamese tom yum paste because I have a big jar of it at home.
- Cover to let the vegetables absorb the flavour of the seasoning.
- Add your carb. I’m using macaroni. I typically cook enough macaroni to eat for 3-4 days. It stays fine in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy your meal that is made in less than 15 minutes. All with this $15 pot!
I am plating for the photo, but you don’t have to. So only one thing to wash! Well, besides the utensils.
Cooking with a small pot at work saves time and money and it is healthier. What are you waiting for? Get yours today!